Sea Scallops with Grana and Truffles
From Italian Cooking and Living, October/November 2001
This dish has a complex flavor thanks to a hint of aged balsamic
vinegar and a sumptuous black truffle purée. Excellent fresh truffles are available
by mail-order from Brunello Imports at www.brunello imports.com or by calling
(416) 631-9773, as well as from Boscovivo at www.boscovivo.com or by calling
(877) 827-8836. In the absence of truffles, use white truffle olive oil.
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 black truffle, shaved into paper-thin slices
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large sea scallops
- 1 head frisée lettuce
- 1 ounce grana padano, shaved into thin shards with a vegetable
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the garlic in a 6"
skillet over medium heat. After 1 minute, add the truffle and cook 1 minute,
or until the aroma is liberated. Remove one-quarter of the truffle slices to
a plate and reserve these for the garnish. Deglaze the truffle left in the pan
with 1 teaspoon of the vinegar and cook 30 seconds. Discard the garlic and place
the truffle with its cooking juices in a blender; add 1 teaspoon of the vinegar
and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and purée until smooth. Season with salt
and pepper and set aside.
Heat the remaining olive oil over high heat in a 12" skillet.
Sear the scallops until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side, turning
once. Remove to a plate. Mound the frisée on 4 plates. Pour the truffle purée
over the frisée, drizzle with the remaining vinegar, and top with the scallops.
Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with the shards of grana and the reserved
truffle slices. Serve the scallops immediately. Serves 4
Copyright © 2006, Italian Cooking and Living. All rights reserved.
Print Friendly Version / E-mail to a Friend
• Browse/Search for other Recipes