From Italian Cooking and Living, February/March 2004
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup red wine
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 red bell peppers, halved, stems, seeds and inner white
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (or substitute
Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet over medium heat,
warm the olive oil. Add the onion and carrot, and sauté until the onion is translucent.
Add the ground beef, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the wine, and cook until the
liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper. Add the parsley, crushed tomatoes
and a pinch of hot red pepper flakes, and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from
heat, and set aside to cool.
Fold the bread crumbs into the meat mixture. Arrange the pepper
halves in a lightly oiled baking dish, and fill each half with the beef mixture.
Sprinkle the top with Parmigiano, and bake for 15 minutes. Serves 6
Copyright © 2006, Italian Cooking and Living. All rights reserved.
Print Friendly Version / E-mail to a Friend
• Back to Recipe Listing / • Restart Recipe Browser